Five Splurges you'd never think to give:
- Back up shoes: Most hikers go through more than one pair. Some go through four, even five. Extra shoes...better than fruitcake!
- Titanium pot + long handled titanium spoon/spork. Or just the long-handled spoon. They'll thank you every day, every meal.
- Trekking poles. They may think they don't want these, but they do. They may not know it, yet. But they want sticks for the trail.
- Rain skirt: weird, but awesome, piece of summer rain gear. Who knew?
- Battery pack: to charge their cell phone on the trail.
Five Stocking Stuffers
- Smartwool balaclava + Merino Buff: Y'all know I love all things merino. These two things combined not only make my heart go pitter patter, but is really all anyone will need to keep their noggin warm on the trail.
- Foot balm: Happy feet make for a happy hiker.
- Panaway essential oil blend...to soothe whatever is sore. Want to know what else is in my essential oil kit for the trail? Go here to see what I'm taking and what I've decided to leave. Tough decision!
- ALDHA or ATC membership: Support a good cause and help keep the trail open, well maintained, well marked and inspiring to all who want to walk. Plus, maybe they'll invite you to the parties.
- Foot balm: Make a huge batch. Pack it pretty. Give it to everyone...hikers and non-hikers alike.
- Ray Way kit: There's this guy, Ray Jardine. He makes all his stuff--tarps, backpacks, even sleeping quilts. And you can, too! Get a kit. Make a tarp. What could go wrong?
- Pot cozy: How I love my pot cozy! It speeds up rehydrating times, which is good. Because who wants to wait any longer than they have to when in the throes of hiker hunger. P.S....decorative duct tape works well and looks pretty.
- Freezer bag meals: Don't you love it when people cook for you? It's even better at the end of a long day.
- Purification spray: Something for the Bounce Box....30 drops of Purification essential oil in distilled water in a spray bottle. They'll spritz it's bright, refreshing scent all over everything to get the funk out. It's the ultimate weapon against odors, even Eau de Thru-Hiker funk.